Recipe by sourdough
This was a Blueberry Coffee cake that I tried from the Penzey catalog. As with any recipe that I tried that they had posted it was great. I modified this because I wanted to try it with apples, and to fit what I had on hand. The response from the group I served it to was good.
Top Review by mollypaul
I didn't have good luck with this recipe. I assembled the ingredients as suggested and ended up with a very heavy (almost bread dough) texture. Had to add additional milk to get anything resembling cake batter. The resulting volume was too great for my bundt pan and final product was a very heavy, stodgy product.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese (whipped in blender until smooth)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients for cake batter and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in mixer, then add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition Add the vanilla& cottage cheese alternately with flour mixture; mix well.
- Combine the streusel ingredients EXCEPT THE APPLES.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of streusel.
- Add apples to remainder.
- In greased bunt pan spread 1/3 of batter, then 1/2 of apple mix, 1/3 of batter, remainder of apple mix, remainder of batter.
- Top with 1/2 cup streusel that was set aside.
- Bake at 375°F for 1 hour or until done.
- Cool 10 minutes and take from pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar when completely cool.