Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From King Arthur Flour website. I have not tried, but would like to. Very different technique for muffins, which includes layering the struesel.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 large apples, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated (or more)
- Cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder.
- Beat in the eggs.
- (The mixture will look curdled; thats OK.) Stir in the apple, cheese, and walnuts, then the flour until just combined.
- Mix streusel ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Fill each cup about half-full.
- Sprinkle about one Tbs of streusel mixture on top of each muffin.
- Fill the cups with the remaining batter.
- (Its stiff, and will mound up above the rim of the cup a bit.) Sprinkle the remaining streusel atop the muffins.
- The streusel will spill off the muffins onto the pan; dont be too finicky about trying to make it stick.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until theyre golden brown.
- After removing from oven, cool breifly in the tins (about 5 min) then finish cooling on a cooling rack.
This is a good, heavy muffin but a little dry, maybe I baked them too long. There was a lot of batter, I thought I would need a second pan with how full the tins were, but they baked up just right. I realized I only had a Mexican cheese blend when it was time to add it to the batter (I know, you're suppose to assemble all your ingredients before you start ) well I threw it in anyway and it tasted fine. Thank You Roosie :)
These were tasty but not as moist as I like my muffins! Could that be a result of my using 1/2 whole wheat flour & 1/2 all purpose flour? I set my timer for the full 30 minutes but would advise checking them earlier. Thanx Roosie!
These are very good muffins. I halved the recipe, just cooking for me since I'm using nuts. Warm from the oven, with a little butter, this was delicious! I had one for breakfast this morning. I halved the muffin, spread with butter and broiled it. Great! Thanks Roosie!