Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Really good. I got this from a small town cookbook.
Make and share this Apple Streusel Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup apple, chopped (granny smith or macintosh, Avoid using red delicious apples as they tend to disintegrate quickly whe)
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 or 10 in tube pan.
- For the streusel, combine brown sugar, apples, pecans, flour, and cinnamon in a med.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- For the cake, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Mix well.
- Beat the butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- One at a time, add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Next add the vanilla.
- Alternately beat flour mixture and orange juice into egg mixture.
- Next spoon half of the batter into the tube pan.
- Then sprinkle with half of the streusel.
- Making an even layer,spoon the rest of the batter over the streusel.
- With a knife, swirl the batter creating a marble pattern.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350.
- Remove the cake from the oven.
- Sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for about 30-35 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Combine the orange juice and confectioners sugar for the glaze.
- Mix well.
- Turn cake out onto a platter.
- Invert so the streusel is on top.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake and serve.
I've been making this cake for almost 10 years now and it's always a big hit, especially when I bake it in my cast iron chicken fryer. Note: Watch closely while baking as cast iron absorbs and retains heat more efficiently. You can also add fresh or dried cranberries, dark or golden raisins and even coconut to the streusel as delicious additions. This recipe also makes wonderful muffins. Alternate layers of batter and streusel mixture in a greased muffin tin, finishing with a sprinkling of streusel mixture. Shorten baking time for muffins. You can also substitute chopped pears for the apples, or try a combination of the two. I also like to sprinkle the glaze with a little cinnamon and serve this cake warm with vanilla ice cream. This is the perfect Fall dessert recipe!
This is wonderful!