Recipe by Enjolinfam
This is a traditional German dessert given to me by my German friend Nicola. It's some work, but absolutely delicious and worth it! The streusel amounts are approximate as you have to mix it together with your hands until you reach the perfect crumbly texture that make it streusel.
Top Review by Kayne
I'm having trouble getting the stars to apply, but it is definitely a 5 star recipe. We loved it! In fact, my DH wants to forego dinner and have this for dinner. It's just the two of us, and we weren't planning anything special, so it doesn't really matter! I followed the recipe exactly, except for the nuts. Neither one of us eats nuts, so I just left them off. I don't think it diminished the recipe at all - it was totally delicious! Thanks Enjolinfam, for a great recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour or 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup wheat flour (or you can add another cup of all purpose flour or cake flour)
- 8 ounces butter or 8 ounces margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup almonds, grated
- 3 -4 apples, sliced
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted approximate
- 1 cup flour, approximate
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, approximate
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients for the dough in a large mixing bowl until completely mixed.
- Spread out dough on a lightly oiled 13x9 inch baking dish. Flatten the dough in the pan until it reaches all the corners and equally distributed.
- Place sliced apples on top in 2 to 3 rows slightly overlapping each other.
- Sprinkle cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg on top.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Make the streusel: in a separate bowl mix butter, flour, and sugar together with your hands until it forms small crumbles. You may need to add more flour to the mixture until you reach the desired crumbles.
- Sprinkle streusel (butter, flour, and sugar crumbles) on top.
- Bake for about 1 hour.