Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A lovely apple cake
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until fragrant and the skins begin to flake. Remove from oven and place the hot nuts in a dish towel. Roll up the towel and let the nuts sit (steam) for a few minutes then rub the nuts in the towel briskly to remove the skins. Let cool.
- Butter an 8 inch spring form pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together ½ cup flour and ground cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the brown sugar and chopped hazelnuts. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl cream the butter. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated. Add the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, and beat only until combined.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Evenly arrange the apple slices on top of the cake batter and then sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake for about 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or softly whipped cream.