Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
What a delicious Fall soup this is - fantastic for Thanksgiving!!
Make and share this Apple Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon crisco canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 8 cups)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1 lb.)
- 2 apples, peeled and cored and diced
- 4 cups chicken or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 tsp.dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk (regular or 2%)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a stock pot or a large pot. Add onions and garlic and cook gently 2-3 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- Add squash, sweet potato and apples. Stir to combine. Add next 5 ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is very tender.
- Purée soup. Return to low heat for 5 minutes to warm soup. Stir in evaporated milk. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
This soup was SO good. I am recently allergic to onion and garlic and have been convinced I couldn't find a good soup without those ingredients. Needless to say, I left them out of this recipe and it was still amazing! I did saute some chopped celery in the first step instead. I didn't have any thyme so I just left it out. I toasted the squash seeds with some olive oil and salt and garnished the soup with them. It was perfect. I didn't think my husband would like it, but he had 2 bowls!
Delicious!! This is definitely restaurant quality soup! Made written and would not change a thing. Was cream with such wonderful flavors from the apple, rosemary, squash and sweet potato, what a winning combo. Will make again. Thanks so very much for the post.