Recipe by Atomic Girl Cooks!
Apple filling with a pastry crust. Almost like apple pie in square form. An old family recipe.
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg (separated)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 cups apples, chopped (size of raisins)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR CRUST: In mixing bowl add salt to flour.
- Cut in shortening and butter.
- Mix egg yolk with cold water. (Save leftover white for brushing top) Mix into flour mixture.
- Line bottom and sides of 9 x 9 pan, reserving remaining pastry for top. Chill while making filling.
- FOR APPLE FILLING: Put apples in saucepan and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Mix together sugar and cornstarch. Add to apples; mix well, then add boiling water.
- Cook until thick.
- Spread evenly over pastry.
- Cover with remaining pastry.
- Press sedges together to seal.
- Brush with slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then at 350 for 30 minutes.