Recipe by Nova Scotia Cook
Many moons ago my one and only sibling,Debbie, compiled for me a cookbook of her favorite tried and true recipes. This recipe for apple squares was in it. Haven't made them in a while but I do remember how delicious they tasted. Must make it a point to bake these one day soon.
Top Review by LMJ26
This is very similar to the apple squares my mother used to make; they are far and away my favourite comfort food. I think that she originally got the recipe from a newspaper or magazine, if I recall correctly from heplping peel and slice apples as a child. Some changes that Ive made - add a couple of pears, and slice the fruit with a mandolin so it lays flat and makes it easier to pat the top down.
- 1 3⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced apples
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix rolled oats, flour, shortening, soda and brown sugar together and put half of mixture in bottom of baking pan.
- Mix together sliced apples, butter, cinnamon and white sugar.
- Spread over first layer of rolled oats.
- Cover with remaining rolled oat mixture.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 35- 40 minutes til done.