Recipe by Rita~
Make this brine for turkey or any poultry you enjoy! Do take into consideration the nutritional facts will not be right. As for most of the brine does get washed away and discarded. Serving size depends on the size of poultry you brine.
Top Review by Julie B.
Made for Thanksgiving, rave reviews all around. Very easy to put together, I brined my 18lb turkey in a Ziploc big bag(xl) worked perfectly, then stored in a ice chest fill with ice. Ready to go the next day. Very moist with a delicate flavor. Will be making again. Thank you Rita
- 1 cup coarse salt or 1 cup pickling salt
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 4 oolong tea bags
- 2 quarts apple juice
- 1 inch ginger, sliced lenghtwise
- 10 whole allspice
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 quarts cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a very large pot (big enough to hold turkey) bring all the brine ingredients but turkey to boil then lower heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags.
- Add washed and towel dried turkey to apple mixture and cover with ice cold water making sure turkey is completely submerged adding more water if needed.
- Refrigerate for 10 to 15 hours just so the turkey absorbs the brine.
- Remove turkey from brine discard brine and rinse turkey towel dry inside and out.
- Proceed with grilling, frying, roasting your turkey just remember brined foods will cook quicker!