Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A tasty breakfast or snack filled with fruit. Recipe originally appeared in the SF Chronicle, June 1992.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 100% all-bran cereal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 cups unpeeled apples, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Cream butter with both sugars in a large mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Add egg, egg whites, sour cream, yogurt, molasses, and vanilla - mixing until well combined.
- Add flour, bran cereal, baking powder, bakng soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt, raisins and apple pieces until just barely combined. Don't overmix - batter will be lumpy.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin. Bake about 15 minutes if using gem sized muffin cups or 20 minutes if using regular sized muffin cups. Tops of muffins will spring back when lightly touched.
Excellent tasting and moist. I reduced the sugar to 1/4c of brown sugar and use w/w flour.