Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A low calorie twist on a old favorite. This dish is a favorite breakfast food in our family. If you are not a big apple fan, you can substitute the apple for a peach and leave out the nutmeg and allspice.
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free flour, sited
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place 0-inch pie pan in oven to warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, nutmeg, and half of the cinnamon: set aside.
- In a bowl beat the eggs till frothy and light. Slowly add the milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in the gluten free flour, salt, allspice, lemon peel, and remaining cinnamon.
- Remove pie plate and spread oil on bottom and sides. Pour in the batter. Arrange fruit slices over the batter. Sprinkle the apples with the sugar mixture and the nuts (optional).
- Bake about 25 minutes till puffy and golden brown.
- Cut into six wedges.