Recipe by anme
A tasty and comforting dish that is sure to please, can be made ahead in a large 9x13 OR in muffin tins!
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
YUMMY! And very easy to follow instructions. I made the Naughty version - in muffin pans. They looked - and tasted - just so delicious. I used raisin bread and omitted the raisins as a separate ingredient, and I reduced the sugar by half and added an additional 1/4 cup of the pecans in the crumble. In the Naughty sauce, I used a good quality dark chocolate roughly chopped instead of the chocolate chips, so my guess that made mine even Naughtier! I also used low fat cream without compromising flavour; well, to our taste anyway. Loved the blend of flavours in the puddings themselves and loved the coffee liqueur in the sauce. Definitely a recipe I'll be making again. Thank you for sharing it, Anme. Made for PRMR.
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups apples
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 -4 cups stale bread cubes
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Sauce for the Grown Ups (Naughty)
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur
Sauce for the Little Ones (Nice)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- chopped pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9x13 pan (may need to use 2 pans, like a 9x13 and an 8x8, if your bread slices are big) or if making bread pudding muffins grease 12 muffin tins.
- Place bread cubes in a bowl.
- Mix together apple, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar (if using any, I find it too sweet when I add suagr but others in my family like this with added sugar), 6 eggs, and both milks, almond extract, and vanilla in a a separate bowl. Pour this mixture over bread cubes and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour into bread mixture into the greased dish or muffin tins.
- Combine crumble ingredients until it looks like crumbly and sprinkle over bread pudding.
- Bake for 30 minutes for muffins or 40-50 minutes for 9x13 dish OR until set, watch carefully!
- Sauce for the Grown Ups:.
- Combine chips, butter, and heavy cream and melt in microwave until melted (Stirring every 30 seconds).
- Then mix in liqueur and serve over bread pudding!
- Sauce for the Little Ones:.
- Mix syrup and butter and place in microwave until melted (stirring every 30 seconds).
- Then stir in the brown sugar and microwave again until dissolved (stirring every 30 seconds).
- You may make this dish ahead and leave in the fridge over night, then bake in the morning.