Recipe by Rachchow
These are big moist muffins, filled with loads of fruit and spice. I always put a little extra spices than the recipe calls for. They are whole-wheat, low-fat, and sooo yummy!
Top Review by Zewbiedoo
These are very good and were a hit with my family. I used paper muffin liners and sprayed the liners with nonstick spray, and the muffins did not stick to the liners at all. I used two large apples and that was plenty. The batter was thick which made it easy to deposit in the muffin cups with an ice cream scoop. Great recipe, low guilt, THANKS Rachow!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Lightly grease muffin cups or spray with cooking spray.
- Using a fork, stir flours with baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium-size bowl with yogurt and applesauce.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Fill muffin cups and bake 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan before removing.
- Muffins freeze very well.