Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this on a holiday food website and since I have always made the cherry dump cake, I thought it sounded good for a change during the holidays. I made it to try it out on the family and they all loved it. My mom asked me to bring it for Thanksgiving dessert. So, I think it's a keeper. Obviously, there will be some of you who don't like it because everybody has different tastes but that's ok. It keeps us from being boring...lol.
- 5 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box spice cake mix
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup syrup (I used Mrs. Butterworth's lite)
- 5 tablespoons apple juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Put apples in a large microwave safe bowl and drizzle them with 2 tbsp apple juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high about 5 minutes. Stir and microwave another 5 minutes until apples are tender.
- Stir apple pie filling into the cooked apples.
- Pour apple mixture into a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and sugar.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Pour dry cake mix over the apples.
- Scatter the nuts on top.
- Combine butter (or margarine), syrup and the other 5 Tbsp apple juice and cook on high 2 minutes or until margarine is well melted. Stir well to combine.
- Drizzle evenly over cake mix and nuts, making sure the edges are well covered too.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until cake is light golden brown and bubbling on the sides.Take care not to let it get too brown.
- Let cool completely and serve with French Vanilla Cool Whip. Or, you can serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.