Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from the "best foods" website. Looks amazing and just in time for Thanksgiving! It had good reviews so I will try this tonight!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups hellmann's or best foods real mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup hellmann's or best foods real mayonnaise
- For Apple Cake, preheat oven to 350°. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda; set aside.
- In medium bowl, with wire whisk, beat eggs, Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise and vanilla until smooth.
- Toss apples with flour mixture, then stir in mayonnaise mixture until combined. Dough will be stiff. Evenly spread into prepared pan.
- For Crumb Topping, in medium bowl, combine all ingredients. With fingers, gently squeeze flour mixture to form crumbs; evenly sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and crumbs are golden. On wire rack, cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
We were not impressed with this. I think the cook time was too long. I took out the cake 5 minutes early, and it was still over done and dry. I followed the recipe exactly except for the bake time. It didn't have much flavor either. A little bland. Could be it just wasn't the type of cake we were looking for.