Top Review by eightball1751
It must be me - I can't imagine how it happened, but my rendition of this recipe had no flavor. How could it have no flavor with TWO teaspoons of Vietnamese cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, 2 teaspoons Madagascar vanilla, plus a teaspoon of Penzey's cake spice thrown in??? And brown sugar instead of white??? They should practically overwhelm the cake! But it was really really tasteless. Too much flour? The applesauce and apples absorb flavor? I don't understand it.
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 cups chopped, peeled apples (, , about 2 large preferably apples which will hold their shape such as Northern Spy, Crispin, Idare)
- 2⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F if using glass baking pan).
- Line 13x9 inch metal cake pan with foil and lightly grease or spray pan.
- In bowl and using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and applesauce.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt and nutmeg; stir into egg mixture alternately with Milk.
- Stir in apples.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert pan and turn out cake; remove foil from bottom.
- Turn right side up on rack and let cool completely.
- To make Glaze.
- In small bowl, whisk icing sugar with lemon juice until smooth, then using fork drizzle over cake.