An Autumn treat to warm the belly! This dark spicy cake studded with golden gems of apples and topped with sweet nuggets of creamy richness. If making in a smaller pan do add a couple minutes more for baking.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large granny smith apples, diced (1.8 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup Frangelico
Nutty Glaze Topping
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄8 cup Frangelico
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 10 x 15 pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Place diced apple in a bowl pour cider and frangelico over the apples.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, butter, and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to dry ingredients, just until moistened. Stir in apples mixture to just blend inches.
- Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan melt butter till sizzling stop and starts to brown slightly add nuts cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat while carefully pouring Frangelico into nuts. Place back over flame add sugar, mix in then add cream.
- Cook and stir till bubbly and all of the sugar is dissolved.
- with a fork carefully pierce the cake then drizzle warm sauce over cake.