Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An Autumn treat to warm the belly! This dark spicy cake studded with golden gems of apples and topped with sweet nuggets of creamy richness. If making in a smaller pan do add a couple minutes more for baking.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large granny smith apples, diced (1.8 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup Frangelico
Nutty Glaze Topping
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄8 cup Frangelico
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 10 x 15 pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Place diced apple in a bowl pour cider and frangelico over the apples.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, butter, and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to dry ingredients, just until moistened. Stir in apples mixture to just blend inches.
- Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan melt butter till sizzling stop and starts to brown slightly add nuts cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat while carefully pouring Frangelico into nuts. Place back over flame add sugar, mix in then add cream.
- Cook and stir till bubbly and all of the sugar is dissolved.
- with a fork carefully pierce the cake then drizzle warm sauce over cake.