Cook1 hr 5 mins
Apples mixed with sour cream, make this pie different and delicious --- see my Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
- 2 cups finely chopped tart apples (Granny Smith are the best for this)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- Set oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp flour; add in the sour cream, egg, vanilla and salt, beat until smooth.
- Fold in the chopped apples; mix thoroughly.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes; reduce the temperature to 325, and bake for 30 minutes more; remove from the oven.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon, 1/3 cup flour and butter; mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the pie filling.
- Return to oven; bake 20 more at 325 degrees.
- Remove; let cool.
I have used this recipe for more than 25 yrs! It has always been requested for holidays and get-togethers. Try it and watch the smiles!
Great pie! I put 1/2 cup walnuts in the topping mix and used my food processor to mix it together. It went over well with my family.
This pie was quite good; however, I prefer the traditional old fashioned all-American (or Canadian) apple pie! I made no changes to the directions. Re the pastry: I used (#66929) your AWESOME Butter Pie Crust which was in my freezer & lost absolutely nothing in the freezing process. Thanx Kitten!