This is a rich and extremely moist coffee cake with a layering of walnuts and cinnamon in ribbons in the middle and on top of this cake. This cake can also be baked in a tube pan, see note on bottom. You will get many rave reviews when you serve this cake! You can also make this cake even without the apples, it is still great, but I think even better with the apples!
CINNAMON NUT FILLING
- 2 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- 2 -3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened (no subs!)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (take out of the fridge 30 minutes before using)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon pure maple extract
- 2 large chopped granny smith apples, coarsely chopped (or use a similar firm apple)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Generously butter a bundt pan and then flour (shaking out excess flour).
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a small food processor, PULSE the walnuts, 2-3 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar until the nuts are chopped.
- Add in 1/4 cup melted butter and pulse once or twice to combine; set aside.
- To make the cake: In a large bowl beat the 1 cup softened butter with 1-1/4 cups sugar at high speed with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes.
- Add in eggs and beat well.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla until smooth and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Reduce the speed to low and add in the flour mixture, mixing just until blended (the batter will be thick).
- Add in the chopped apples; mix to combine.
- Sprinkle half of the nut mixture evenly into bottom of the bundt pan.
- Spoon half of the batter on top of the nut mixture, spreading out with a spatula, then sprinkle the remaining nut mixture on top of the batter, then top/dollop with remaining cake batter, spreading out with a spoon.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool cake in the pan on a rack for about 1 hour, then run a thin knife around the inner edges.
- Place rack on top of the pan, then flip to invert onto rack.
- Cool completely.
- *NOTE* this cake can be baked in a tube pan, just layer the cinnamon/nut mix twice between three layers of cake batter instead of sprinkling on the bottom of the pan. Layer as follows.
- A third of the cake batter in the bottom of the pan then sprinkle with half of the nut mixture, then another third batter on top, the the remaining nut mixture then the remaining third of cake batter.
- This method works quite well, but will produce a higher cake that might take a longer time to bake.
This recipe was exactly what I was looking for. DELICIOUS! Will share with all my facebook friends!
very rich and yummy! Everyone loved it.