Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A family favorite for summer cookoouts, you will be tempted to eat these beans as soon as they are cooked, TRUST ME!, Wait until the next day to eat them. My wife; who hates beans, will actually eat some of these. It only took me @20 years of testing to get her to eat baked beans regularly.
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 5 slices bacon
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Rinse beans and cook overnight on low in a slow cooker (crock pot). Rinse again and place in a large bowl.
- Open pineapple chunks and drain (reserving liquid), add to the beans.
- Mix tomato paste, molassas, soy sauce, cider vinegar, honey, pineapple juice, garlic powder, black pepper, cinnamon and ground ginger in a small bowl then add to beans. mix to coat completely.
- Divide the mixture between 2 baking dishes that will fit in your smoker (or in your oven).
- Cut the bacon strips into @3/4 inch pieces then layer the top of each baking dish. Place in your smoker with the wood chips of your choice(I prefer apple) at 200 degrees until the bacon is cooked, @6 hours. PLEASE NOTE, this time is based upon my electric smoker on medium with a full water pan. If you are using an oven either place a pan of water in the oven or reduce the cooking time, to when the bacon is cooked to a golden brown.
- Mix both batches of beans in a large covered bowl, refrigerate over night, then gently reheat and serve the next day.
This sounds really good! We just got a new smoker, so you can bet we'll be making this during the 4th of July weekend!! I'll post a review later. =]