Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a yummy recipe I got from a cookbook I got with my Marlboro points years ago. Who'd have imagined smoking could lead to something this good? I like using my cast iron skillet for this, although I get the occasional sticky spot. You can substitute butter or something healthier for the drippings, but I feel that if you love your food you should be willing to die for it.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium baking apples, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup bacon drippings
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup cold coffee
- 1 large egg, whisked
- In a medium bowl mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and cloves.
- In another bowl, combine apples and lemon juice. Add remaining sugar.
- Melt drippings in a 9-10" oven proof skillet (I use a cast iron one.).
- Add egg and coffee or milk to flour mix and mix well.
- Pour batter into skillet over the melted drippings. DO NOT MIX IT. Arrange the apple mix atop the batter.
- Bake at 350 inthe oven for 45 minutes until the batter is poofy and set and the apples are tender. Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve.
Very easy and tastes great! The cake part is a little thin but that doesn't effect the taste at all. And it's not too sweet. I put 1/2 tsp ground cardamom in the batter. I gave it 4-stars instead of five because I would have preferred it with peeled apples. I'll peel them next time and compare. Nice recipe.
Delicious, and so easy to prepare! Made as directed. Goes great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum! Thanks, Potatoes Browning! Made for PAC Fall '08.