Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe posted on request. It's from Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way cookbook, and was featured on his TV show. This is more like an apple pancake than a dessert cake.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut in 8 wedges (soft fleshed, preferably Empire or McIntosh)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- 1 cup maple syrup (optional for serving)
- Melt butter in 10" - 12" ovenproof non-stick skillet. Arrange apple wedges in a layer in skillet and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cook apples on medium to low heat about 5 minutes, then turn the apple wedges over and cook 5 minutes more.
- Set skillet with apples aside.
- Make batter:.
- Place all batter ingredients in a food processor and process a few seconds to combine them.
- Heat the broiler.
- Pour the batter over the apples in the skillet; cover and cook over low heat on the stove for 6 - 8 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet and broil 6" from the heat source for 6 - 8 minutes, until browned on top.
- Invert onto a serving plate, and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with maple syrup (optional).