Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
Saved for a special event so I would not lose the recipe.
- 1⁄2 fresh vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 blood orange (to yield 1 ounce blood orange juice)
- 2 ounces calvados
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier
- 1⁄2 ounce lemon juice
- Prepare vanilla sugar to rim the glass the day before: Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise in half and scrape out the seed. Add the seed to the sugar and make sure the seeds are well-mixed with the sugar. Place the mixture in an airtight container and let rest overnight.
- Coat the glass rim with sugar: Place vanilla sugar in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Moisten the edge of a martini glass by rubbing a wedge of the blood orange around the rim. Hold the glass upside down above the sugar and spoon vanilla sugar over the outer rim of the glass.
- Add Calvados, Grand Marnier, lemon juice, blood orange juice, and ice into a cocktail shaker. Shake for approximately 10 seconds and strain into prepared glass.
- If you want to make a batch of drinks ahead of time for a party, you can combine all of the ingredients without ice and keep it refrigerated in a pitcher. Then when one of your guests wants a drink, simply add ice to a cocktail shaker, pour in the sidecar mixture, shake, strain, and serve.