1/1 Photo of Apple Scone Cake
A friend knew I liked Scones and found this recipe for me. It is amazing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (280 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces (113 grams, 1 stick)
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup milk, divided (120 ml)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter (or spray with Pam) a 9 inch (23 cm) glass pie plate.
- 2In a small bowl whisk together one egg and 1 tablespoon from the 1/2 cup milk. Set this aside as it will be used as a glaze for the top of the cake.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. In a separate small bowl whisk together the remaining one egg, remaining milk, and vanilla extract and add to the flour mixture, stirring just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix the dough.
- 4Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times and then divide the dough in half. Roll or pat one half of the dough into a 9 inch (23 cm) circle and transfer to the pie plate and pat onto the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- 5In a separate bowl toss together the cut apples, sugar and cinnamon. Spread the apples evenly over the bottom of the dough in the pie plate.
- 6Roll the remaining dough into a 9 inch (23 cm) circle, on a lightly floured surface, and gently place the dough over the apples. With your fingers seal the edges of the top and bottom crusts. Brush the top of the dough with the egg and milk glaze, and sprinkle with white sugar. Cut a slit in the center of the dough to allow the steam to escape.
- 7Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 - 45 minutes or until the pastry is nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- 8Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Scone Cake
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.8
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 114.0 mg
- Sodium 224.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 29.0 g
- Protein 7.4 g