Recipe by DawnaR
The smell of this stuffing being prepared is heavenly. It is a fight to keep the family from "sampling it" until it is all gone! This stuffing is cooked in a 9x13 pan - not inside the turkey.
Top Review by NeverEnoughTime
Oh so yummy! I didn't have sage so used poultry seasoning instead, and I didn't have mushrooms but oh, wow, this was delicious. Lots of compliments on Thanksgiving. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 lb link sausage, chopped (Jimmy Dean, etc)
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 apples, granny smith,cored & diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 8 ounces stuffing cubes
- salt & pepper
- 1 package turkey gravy mix (Schilling,McCormack, etc)
- 3⁄8 cup butter, melted
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Broth Mixture- Combine gravy mix, melted butter& broth.
- Bring to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat until slightly thickened.
- Stuffing Mixture- In a large skillet fry sausage and bacon until almost crisp then remove to a large bowl.
- Discard all but 2 tbl of the bacon drippings; add onion, celery, mushrooms, apples, parsley& herbs.
- Sauté mixture for 5 minutes.
- Mix in stuffing cubes.
- Add to the bowl with bacon& sausage.
- Pour broth mixture over ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Season to taste with salt& pepper.
- Place stuffing into 9x13 pan, cover with foil and heat in 350F oven for 30 to 45 minutes until hot.