Recipe by Lorac
Raisin bread topped with sausage, apples, cheddar cheese and an egg milk mixture. Can be prepared the night before.
Top Review by Paula2006
I tried this and added extra apples with cinnamon. I also doubled twice the amount of raisen bread which I cubed. I add two more eggs . I put in a bit of sage with bulk sausage. We enjoyed this dish for a crowd.
- 4 slices raisin bread
- 6 ounces cooked breakfast sausage links, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large apple, peeled,cored and cut in 1/4 inch thick wedges
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- 5 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place bread in a single layer in the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Place sausage and apple in a large skillet, cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 3 minutes or until the sausage are lightly browned, the apples are soft and the pan juices evaporate.
- Spoon the apple sausage mixture over the bread and top with cheese.
- Place eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture over cheese, let stand 5 minutes or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake 30 minutes (35-40 if refrigerated) or until eggs are set in the center.
- Cut into squares before serving.