1/3 Photos of Apple Sausage Quiche
This cheese and sausage quiche is slightly sweet from the chopped apple. Prebaking the pastry, without the filling, ensures a crisp crust. I found this recipe in a Southern Living cookbook. We enjoyed it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 inches pastry shells, unbaked
- 1 cup apple, peeled, chopped (I used a Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 lb pork sausage (Use mild sausage for a tamer quiche or hot sausage to pump up the flavor.)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Fit pastry into 9 inch quiche dish. (I used a pie pan). Prick bottom and sides of pastry with fork. Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes; cool on wire rack.
- 2Combine apple, and next 3 ingredients; toss well. Cook apple mixture and onion in butter in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until onion is tender. Remove from heat, and cool 20 minutes.
- 3Brown sausage in large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is done; drain well. Combine eggs and next 3 ingredients in large bowl. Add apple mixture and sausage to egg mixture; stir well.
- 4Pour mixture into prepared pastry shell. Gently stir in cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 for 35 minutse or until cheese melts and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Sausage Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.6
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 158.2 mg
- Sodium 428.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper