Recipe by Hey Jude
My Aunt's recipe. She served this with grilled sausages and it was perfect. It's important to rinse the sauerkraut really well to remove all the salt and vinegar.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (2 lb) jar sauerkraut, well rinsed and drained
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, cut in fine strips
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 red apple, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 -2 tablespoon calvados (apple brandy)
- cooked sausage
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon in a large saucepan until golden and crisp. Drain fat, reserving about 1 T. in the pan. Add the garlic, celery, green onions, sauerkraut, apple juice, lemon zest, sugar and caraway eeds.
- Simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the apple slices and Calvados. Simmer 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot with sausages.