Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a must have for our family on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- 2 loaves French bread, torn into pieces
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- turkey giblets, cooked and chopped
- Tear bread into pieces the night before.
- Put into a large bowl or spread out on a cookie sheet to dry out.
- In the morning, pour 1 cup of water over the bread to moisten, squeeze out.
- Saute celery and onion in a little butter, then add to bread.
- Add rest of ingredients to bread and mix.
- Stuff turkey or put into a casserole.
- If you use a casserole, bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, covered.