Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
You may adjust the amount of sage to taste, this stuffing is baked in the oven in a dish :)
Make and share this Apple Sage Stuffing recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups butter
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced small
- 5 stalks celery, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons whole dried sage
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 (450 g) harvest grain bread, chopped to a medium dice
- 1 liter turkey broth or 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons whole fresh sage
- salt and pepper
- In a large pan, melt butter on med-high heat.
- Saute onion, celery, garlic and apple.
- Add sage, pinch of nutmeg and the bread cubes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add stock and fresh herbs.
- Season and taste.
- Remove from heat; place in an oven-proof roasting pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Really good, I didn't have any garlic or fresh herbs but it was still very good!!
Wickedly delicious: great blend of flavours. Just love apple and sage together. I omitted nothing; added nothing. I used chicken stock. We were able to pack several portions in the freezer for future indulgences. Thanks for sharing another great recipe, KITTENCAL!
Great stuffing, Kittencal! I love all your recipes. I cut this one in half, and skipped the nutmeg. Also, I only had fresh sage, so I snipped some in the recipe, and browned some in butter to put on top for a flavorful garnish. (My husband didn't like apples in his stuffing, but otherwise liked it. That's just him.) Delicious and quick -thanks for a great recipe.