1/1 Photo of Apple Rum Raisin Cake (Gluten-Free, Low-GI)
1 hr 10 mins
I used a gugelhupf pan here, but you can just use a round 7-inch cake pan. If you’d like to lower the glycemic index, you can omit raisins and replace coconut sugar with erythritol or xylitol. This cake is pretty moist and does crumble a little when you slice it, so please don’t make the batter too loose by adding too much applesauce. This cake is good with ice cream (vanilla, rum raisin, salted caramel, dulce de leche, etc.). Fore more healthy, gluten-free recipes, please visit my blog, www.innerharmonynutrition.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 apples, chopped (small)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar crystals
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 -4 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- cooking spray, for coating the pan
- 1In a small sauce pan, place apple pieces, lemon juice, raisins, sugar, cinnamon, and water and cook under medium heat for about 10 minutes until the apples become soft.
- 2Add rum and mix. Turn off heat and set it aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC degrees and spray the cake pan with oil.
- 4In a bowl, combine almond meal, coconut flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- 5Add beaten eggs, melted butter, apple sauce, and almond extract and mix.
- 6Add the apple and raisin mixture and walnut pieces (if using) and mix.
- 7Bake for about 40 minutes.
- 8When the cake is no longer hot, remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar (optional).
- 9Infuse love, slice and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Rum Raisin Cake (Gluten-Free, Low-GI)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.9
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 92.5 mg
- Sodium 89.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coconut sugar crystals
coconut sugar crystals