1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 5 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tart apples, peeled, halved, cored, and sliced about 1/8 inch thick (Granny Smith)
- 118.29 ml golden raisin
- 29.58 ml dark rum
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.48 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 29.58 ml milk
- 1Line bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper; butter parchment paper and sides of pan.
- 2Set a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat oven to 350°.
- 3Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl (glass or stainless); let stand while you prepare the batter.
- 4In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; mix well and set aside.
- 5In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- 6Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- 7Beat in vanilla; using a rubber spatula, fold in half the flour mixture.
- 8Drain the apples in a colander set over a bowl; add the milk to any rum that drains into the bowl and stir the liquids into the batter, then fold in the remaining flour mixture.
- 9Spread half the cake batter evenly in the prepared pan; scatter with the sliced apple mixture.
- 10Scrape remaining batter onto the filling and smooth out.
- 11Slide a foil-lined cookie sheet onto the rack below the middle one to catch any drips.
- 12Bake for 55-65 minutes or until cake is risen, firm, and deep golden and the apples are cooked through and tender.
- 13Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes, then loosen the cake by running a sharp paring knife around the inside of the pan, scraping the knife against the pan, not the cake.
- 14Remove the sides and slide the cake off the base to a rack to finish cooling.
- 15When the cake has cooled completely, invert the cake onto a plate, remove the paper, and invert the cake onto the rack again so it is right side up.
- 16Make the glaze: stir together the powdered sugar and rum in a small saucepan; mix well.
- 17Place over medium heat until warm and fluid.
- 18Drizzle half the glaze over the top of the cake in a series of parallel lines.
- 19Rewarm the glaze if necessary and drizzle another series of lines on a diagonal to the first ones.
- 20Wait until the glaze dries, then slide the cake onto a platter.
- 21Serve with ice cream or whipped cream; this cake is best served on the day it is made.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Rum Cake
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.3
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 125.6 mg
- Sodium 268.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 42.6 g
- Protein 6.6 g