Recipe by foodtvfan
A delicious bread pudding served warm or cold with custard sauce, whipped cream, or Rum Sauce for Bread Pudding. Also good for breakfast with maple syrup. I used Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!) to prepare the baking dish and added more raisins. From Foodland Ontario booklet.
Top Review by Lois Ellen
Love this recipe! It turned out just right... wouldn't change a thing. It reminds me of the bread pudding my mother used to make when I was a kid. I used apple juice that I had on hand. Will try rum next time... there WILL be a next time!
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk or 2 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 8 cups stale white bread cubes
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar.
- Stir in bread cubes; let stand for at least 30 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and rum or apple juice. Set aside.
- In another bowl, toss together apples, cinnamon and remaining brown sugar.
- Add raisin and apple mixtures to the softened bread, mixing well.
- Spread evenly in a greased 8”x8”x2” baking pan.
- Drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender.
- Serve warm or cold.