Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious bread pudding served warm or cold with custard sauce, whipped cream, or Rum Sauce for Bread Pudding. Also good for breakfast with maple syrup. I used Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!) to prepare the baking dish and added more raisins. From Foodland Ontario booklet.
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk or 2 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 8 cups stale white bread cubes
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar.
- Stir in bread cubes; let stand for at least 30 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and rum or apple juice. Set aside.
- In another bowl, toss together apples, cinnamon and remaining brown sugar.
- Add raisin and apple mixtures to the softened bread, mixing well.
- Spread evenly in a greased 8”x8”x2” baking pan.
- Drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender.
- Serve warm or cold.
Love this recipe! It turned out just right... wouldn't change a thing. It reminds me of the bread pudding my mother used to make when I was a kid. I used apple juice that I had on hand. Will try rum next time... there WILL be a next time!
I made a rumless version because of the children and we have eaten it straight from the oven and it is/was glorious. I used a combo of skim milk and light cream and used up a stale fruit loaf - all in all a wonderful comfort food and easy to do.
Delicious. I used stale homemade raisin and whole wheat breads. I chose the rum option, and added a little extra for good measure! I enjoyed this and wished I'd have used larger apples because they were so tender and tasty. I will make this again with white bread. Very easy recipe foodtvfan. Thanks.