Prep 8 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
This is based on a recipe from Pampered Chef that used just the Turkey Breast. I tailored it for our Thanksgiving whole turkey and the result was a beautiful, delicious, and moist bird that my mother-in-law raved about. The apples inside really keep it moist and add flavor. I've inherited the responsibility for making the turkey every year now!
- 2 gallons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- turkey (any size)
- olive oil, to taste, about a palm full
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 -6 green apples, cored and quartered (depends on bird size)
- 1⁄2 cup strained pan dripping (with fat from the top)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄3 cup Wondra Flour
- Thaw and rinse frozen turkey, removing the giblets and neck from the cavities.
- Combine all brine ingredients and soak turkey overnight in a large cooler 8-12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Rinse turkey after brining.
- Put 2 apples worth of quartered pieces in bottom of roast pan and stuff remaining apples in the turkey's cavities.
- Set turkey on apples in roast pan.
- Rub palm full of olive oil on turkey.
- Combine spices and rub onto turkey's skin Cook turkey according to size until internal temp is 180°F.
- Prepare Gravy by first straining pan drippings.
- Place 2 or 3 Tbsp of drippings in saucepan and heat on low.
- Add butter and melt.
- Add sage.
- Stir in Wondra flour a little at a time stirring with a whisk.
- Continue adding drippings until desired amount is achieved.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook 1 minute.