leslie in plano's Note:
This is based on a recipe from Pampered Chef that used just the Turkey Breast. I tailored it for our Thanksgiving whole turkey and the result was a beautiful, delicious, and moist bird that my mother-in-law raved about. The apples inside really keep it moist and add flavor. I've inherited the responsibility for making the turkey every year now!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 gallons water
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- turkey (any size)
- olive oil, to taste, about a palm full
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 -6 green apples, cored and quartered (depends on bird size)
- 1Thaw and rinse frozen turkey, removing the giblets and neck from the cavities.
- 2Combine all brine ingredients and soak turkey overnight in a large cooler 8-12 hours.
- 3Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 4Rinse turkey after brining.
- 5Put 2 apples worth of quartered pieces in bottom of roast pan and stuff remaining apples in the turkey's cavities.
- 6Set turkey on apples in roast pan.
- 7Rub palm full of olive oil on turkey.
- 8Combine spices and rub onto turkey's skin Cook turkey according to size until internal temp is 180°F.
- 9Prepare Gravy by first straining pan drippings.
- 10Place 2 or 3 Tbsp of drippings in saucepan and heat on low.
- 11Add butter and melt.
- 12Add sage.
- 13Stir in Wondra flour a little at a time stirring with a whisk.
- 14Continue adding drippings until desired amount is achieved.
- 15Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook 1 minute.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Roast Turkey With Apple Scented Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (9223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2065.8
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 91.5 mg
- Sodium 170170.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 464.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 442.9 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: