Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
This is lovely dessert. You can use it many ways, as a simple rice pudding or a simple applesauce or use it in its entirety as Apple Rice Pudding.
Top Review by katew
Made this up quick as a wink after getting home late and wanting comfort food - did the apples in the microwave whist the rice was boiling away. I did not do the breadcrumb bit, just sprinkled the top with nutmeg - just delicious and will make great breakfast too .
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 -10 apples, peeled cored, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place milk, rice, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Cook until rice is tender and creamy-about 25-30 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine apples, sugar, raisins, cinnamon and water. Cook covered, over low heat until apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Mash using a potato masher if desired.
- Spread half the hot rice in a buttered, shallow baking dish. Cover with applesauce, then top with remaining rice. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with butter. Place under a preheated broiler for a few minutes until bread crumbs are golden.
- Serve warm or cool.