Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is lovely dessert. You can use it many ways, as a simple rice pudding or a simple applesauce or use it in its entirety as Apple Rice Pudding.
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 -10 apples, peeled cored, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place milk, rice, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Cook until rice is tender and creamy-about 25-30 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine apples, sugar, raisins, cinnamon and water. Cook covered, over low heat until apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Mash using a potato masher if desired.
- Spread half the hot rice in a buttered, shallow baking dish. Cover with applesauce, then top with remaining rice. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with butter. Place under a preheated broiler for a few minutes until bread crumbs are golden.
- Serve warm or cool.
Made this up quick as a wink after getting home late and wanting comfort food - did the apples in the microwave whist the rice was boiling away. I did not do the breadcrumb bit, just sprinkled the top with nutmeg - just delicious and will make great breakfast too .
I used macintosh apples so it would be nice and sweet and I used 10 of them. They were on the smaller side. I made it for a family cook-a-thon at my cousins house. We had a ball and the dessert was eaten up in no time! I served it with whipped cream on top and everyone was rubbing their tummies and saying how good it was while they were eating it! This recipe will be used plenty by me :) Thank you for sharing it with us Lorrie! Made for Gimme 5 Tag Game 4/09 Linda