Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This delicious side dish is a real change of pace. The rice soaks up the juice from the apples and becomes plump and sweet. Leftovers can be used for breakfast, hot or cold, served with a dollop of yogurt. Recipe from the cookbook Lean and Luscious and Meatless.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 small sweet apples, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 1-1/2 quart casserole or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into prepared pan.
- Cover tightly and bake 45 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This recipe is amazing! I halved it and made it for breakfast for my family, everyone loved it! It's really nice and healthy with both fruit and wholegrains :). Thanks for a great recipe!
I only made a half portion of this recipe which was a big mistake! I had enough for 3 servings and am wishing I had lots more hanging around as leftovers! This was an easy, unique and yummy side dish and I will certainly be making it again! Thanks for a great recipe!
I made 1/2 the recipe. This was good nice and hearty.