Recipe by Sarah in WA Davidson
I got some apple sausage from Costco a few years ago and was experimenting with ways to use it, and came up with this. Mild Italian sausage works nicely too. It makes a good main dish served with salad and garlic bread, or a side served with chicken.
Top Review by Pat K.
I printed this recipe several months ago but just got around to fixing it. It was wonderful. Got high marks from my DH and 1 of my girls. The picky one said it was "ok". Will definatly make this again. It was easy and took very little of my time.
- 1 box uncle ben wild rice mix, less seasonings
- 2 apples, cut in small pieces with skin peeled
- 3 links mild Italian sausage or 3 links apple sausage, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- cinnamon, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
- butter, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Start cooking the rice according to box directions, but leave out the seasonings.
- In a large pan over medium heat, cook the sausage until it's about halfway done.
- Add the apples, onions, garlic, carrot, and nuts.
- If the sausage has not released enough grease to coat all the ingredients, add butter.
- When the sausage is done and the apples and onions are beginning to caramelize, add the brown sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon, reducing heat to low.
- When the rice is done, add the rice to the pan with the sausage mixture and add enough butter to coat the rice, and additional brown sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the rice is coated with the butter and sugar and the ingredients are mixed well.
- It should be a fairly sticky consistency.