Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This apple-rhubarb pie is great during the spring and summer months when rhubarb is in season. Use apples that hold their shape during cooking, such as Golden Delicious. To save time, a packaged pie crust can be used. The pie can be served cold or warmed with ice cream on the side.
Pie shell and lattice top
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, very cold
- 14 tablespoons margarine, very cold
- 1⁄2 cup water, very cold
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, sliced (about one large rhubarb)
- 5 cups fresh apples, sliced (about five medium apples)
- 1 egg white
- For pie shell:.
- Combine flour and salt.
- Add the butter and margarine and mix on low until the mixture appears crumbly.
- Add water until just incorporated.
- Chill for at least 2 hours, or up to 5 days.
- Divide the dough into thirds and place one third back in the refrigerator.
- Roll the remaining two thirds on a floured surface into one 9-inch circle and gently press into a pie place, poking fork holes into the bottom for ventilation.
- Return pie plate to the refrigerator.
- Roll the last third of dough on a floured surface to the same thickness as the pie shell and cut into long strips with pizza cutter (this dough will be used for lattice top).
- For the filling:.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon.
- Toss with rhubarb and apples until the fruit is well covered.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- For the lattice top:.
- Starting in the center, place the long strips of dough in a lattice pattern evenly until all the dough has been used.
- You may need to combine the scraps and re-roll into more long strips.
- For an extra pretty top: brush egg white on the top of the pie and cover the edges with aluminum foil for the first 20 minutes of baking.
- Bake pie for 45 minutes at 400.