Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a favorite in my house!
- 4 granny smith apples (chopped)
- 1 cup rhubarb (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- lemon juice
- 2 cups white flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix apples, rhubarb, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, flour, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in shortening.
- Beat egg and almond extract together with a fork in a measuring cup.
- Sprinkle over flour mixture.
- Toss dough together, and roll into two balls.
- With a rolling pin, roll one to ¼ inch thickness.
- Repeat process with other ball.
- Put one dough sheet on a pie pan.
- Place apple mixture on it.
- Place other dough sheet on pie.
- Crimp edges of dough.
- With a fork, poke small holes in the top pie crust.
- Cook pie for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven temperature down to 350 Fahrenheit, and cook for 35 more minutes.
- Let cool, then cut.