Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This has a bottom and top crust with filling the fruit filling in between, it's really a great dessert! Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
CRUST or TOPPING
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 2 cups sliced apples (about 3 small apples)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar (can use half white and brown sugar)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch baking dish.
- For the crust/topping; in a bowl mix together all crust/topping ingredients; press half of the mixture into the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Arrange the apple slices then rhubarb over the crust.
- In a saucepan cook 3/4 cup white sugar with water, cornstarch and vanilla until thickened; pour over the rhubarb and apples.
- Sprinkle with remaining half of oatmeal mixture.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
The smell alone is worth 5 stars. So yummy and full of falls goodness. Although it's only August:-) Used frozen rhubarb that was picked a few months ago and it worked fine. And, used one large Gala apple that gave me two cups. I love the addition of the sugar/water thickening that is spread over the fruit. It really adds to the texture of the crisp. This is a great fall/winter recipe that is sure to please.