Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Apples and rhubarb are a great combo.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs golden delicious apples, peeled,cored,cut into ½ inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 3⁄4 lb rhubarb, cut into ½ inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream (to accompany)
- For topping: Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Rub in butter until mixture begins to clump together.
- Mix in nuts.
- For filling: Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine apples, rhubarb, sugar, flour and vanilla extract in large bowl and toss to coat.
- Transfer to 8x8x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake until fruit is tender when pierced with knife tip and topping is crisp, about 45 minutes.
- Cover with foil if topping is browning too quickly.
- Cool 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Perfect in every way. Lovely with the vanilla extract in the filling. I would have never thought of doing that! I added a handful of dried cranberries - Yummm. Thanks for posting.
Nice change with the addition of walnuts.