Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I meant to post this during Passover, but I could never find the time. This was posted in the Canadian Jewish News. Although Passover has ended it probably can still be made using the leftover ingredients you may have.
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup packed passover brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter or 1⁄2 cup dairy-free margarine, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 5 cups sliced peeled mcintosh apples (about 1 3/4 lb)
- 1 cup chopped frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canned pitted and drained sour cherry
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 11x7 inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, spoon matzah meal into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Whisk together matzah meal, potato starch, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles course meal. Add 2 tbsp orange juice and stir until moist.
- To prepare filling, combine all ingredients and toss gently.
- Press 1 1/2 cups matzah meal in the bottom of the prepared pan. Spoon fillingover crust and top evenly with mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is lightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.