Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Company's Coming. Great with pork.
- 2 lbs tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 1⁄2 ounces gound almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- Combine first 4 ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook uncivered, until apples are soft.
- Add almonds, raisins, mustard seed and cayenne. Stir. Cook uncovered, stirring often, until consistency of jam.
- In another saucepan, combine second amount of sugar, vinegar and salt. Stir. Boil uncovered, over medium heat until it is reduced in quantity and thickens a bit.
- Stir often while thickening.
- Watch closely so it doesn't brown. Add to apples. Stir well.
- Pour into hot sterilizes pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.