Recipe by RecipeMonster
A delicious side dish. It look pretty too. This dish can be prepared ahead of time and reheated.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red cabbage, & rinsed, with outer leaves & and core removed
- 2 -3 medium apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cabage lengthwise, remove core.
- Shred cabbage, set aside, Pare, quarter and core apples and cut into small pieces.
- In large saucepot, melt some butter, add onion and cook gently, about 5-10 minutes, add sugar and stir until it begins to caramelize.
- Add cabbage,apple, vinegar, salt, pepper and ground ginger.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in raisins and cook for about 10 minutes longer, add a little water if needed.