Prep 12 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This cross between a strata and an upside down cake is a sweet delight. Soak the bread overnight if you want to speed up the morning rush.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 slices egg bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 apples, peeled,cored and sliced
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- In bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Arrange bread on large rimmed baking sheet; pour egg mixture over top.
- Turn bread over, let soak until liquid is absorbed, 10 minutes.
- (make-ahead: cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.) Spread butter in 13x9 inch glass baking dish; sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
- Arrange apples in slightly overlapping rows on top; sprinkle with raspberries.
- Arrange bread on top.
- Bake in 375F oven until puffed and golden, about 35 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut between bread slices to seperate.
- Using large lifter, invert along with apples and raspberries on each plate.
- Variation: Peach-Upside Down French Toast.
- Replace nutmeg with cinnamon.
- Replace apples with 2 cans (each 14 oz/398ml) sliced peaches, drained.
- Omit raspberries.