Recipe by OrganicGal
I created the recipe because I found a spot in the woods while camping where delicious, wild raspberries were growing. I came home and picked apples off our tree and decided to put them together since I had never used raspberries in cooking before. WOW was that a great idea. The two combined creates a delicious pie that you and your family won't be able to resist.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups granny smith apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular (or 3/4 cup of sugar)
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Crust first: Mix shortening, butter and flour.
- Add boiling water, salt and baking powder - mix well.
- Separate into 2 equal balls; place between 2 pieces of wax paper; roll, place in freezer (keep in freezer for about 15 minutes - cold pastry makes it easier to work with.).
- MEANWHILE -- WE'LL WORK ON THE FILLING.
- Lightly mix the cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla with the apples and raspberries.
- Line your pastry pan with one dough, and heap filling into it.
- Sprinkle the 1 tbsp of flour on top - do not mix inches
- Dot the filling with the 1 1/2 tbsp of butter.
- Cover with topping crust, make slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Serve hot with ice cream with your family!