Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
Now THIS is a stuffed bread. Not by any means the shortest or simplest bread to make but boy is it worth it in the end. Cooking time includes doubling time.
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 1⁄4-3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 medium apples, finely diced and peeled
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Simmer apple juice over medium heat until reduced to 1 cup. Cool to ~110 degrees F then stir in yeast.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl till frothy, then whisk in salt.
- Combine egg and juice mixture in a electric mixer bowl.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and stir.
- Put mixer on slow and gradually add 3 1/4 cup flour.
- After, increase speed of mixing to medium for 10 minutes. Dough should be fairly elastic. If still soft and sticky, add remaining 1/4 cup.
- Reduce mixing speed to medium low, add pecans and raisins and continue mixing for 5 more minutes or till dough is smooth, elastic and clinging to dough hook if used.
- Gather dough in a ball and place in lightly sprayed bowl, spray dough top, then put dough in warm, draft free place.
- Cover bowl with kitchen towl and let dough rise until doubled (~1 hour).
- Egg Wash: blend egg, sugar, and water.
- Spray 5"x8" bread pan. Turn dough out on well floured surface.
- Roll dough evenly into 12" wide by 20-24" long rectangle.
- Brush dough w/egg wash, leaving 6 inch wide strip at one end.
- Spread apples on dough leaving 1/2" border on other three sides.
- Roll dough jelly roll style starting at filled end until 1" from other end.
- Brush remaining flap w/egg wash and close roll. Make sure no gaps on sides and all layers meet.
- Put dough in pan, seam side down, cover w/towel and let dough rise til doubled (at least 1 hour, probably more).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bake til top is brown and crispy, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove bread, and top with melted butter before cooling on a wire rack.