Recipe by Cookinmomof3
This is a delicious breakfast dish that you prepare the night before and it sets overnight. In the morning you just put it in the oven and enjoy. I've been making it for YEARS now for Christmas breakfast and Thanksgiving!!! Its SO SIMPLE and tastes out of this world!! You've got to try it!
Top Review by Plumshadow
It was ok. The kids did not particulary like it. My DH thought it was pretty good, I'm not sure if it was an error on my part or what but it was slightly more like a bread pudding than french toast.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 apples, peeled cored and sliced (I prefer Granny Smith apples)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 loaf French baguette, cut into 1 inch slices
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Mix in the melted butter.
- Stir in apples and raisins until evenly coated.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Arrange bread slices in an even layer over the apples.
- In the bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Pour over bread making sure EVERY slice is fully soaked.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove dish from fridge and bake covered 40 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake 5 more minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.