Prep 8 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is so good! great to serve as a weekend brunch, as it is prepared the night before, or left in the fridge for a minimum of 8 hours. Please only use French bread for this recipe, any other kind of bread tends to fall apart and get mushy.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 (8 ounce) packagecold cream cheese
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar mixture, mix
- 8 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- icing sugar, for sprinkling
- Spray a 4-quart oval baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice the French bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Arrange half of the bread cubes into the dish.
- Cut the cream cheese into 1/2-inch cubes, and place evenly over the bread cubes in the dish.
- Toss the chopped apple and raisins in the cinnamon/sugar mixture until very well coated.
- Sprinkle the chopped apple and raisins over the cream cheese.
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk and cinnamon together.
- Pour over the bread mixture, making certain that all the bread is moistened.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- When ready to bake, set the oven to to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until set and eggs are thoroughly cooked.
- Cover with foil if the bread begins to darken.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve -- yummy!